Friday, May 05, 2006

Database Promotion

About a month and a half ago, I created a tool that I think is helping to promote the use of databases. Using Print Shop, I made a template to make a pocket that can be hung off any shelf and will hold several copies of the "Home Access to OPLIN Databases" bookmarks. I have 31 variations of the pocket, designed to promote different databases. For example, one pocket says:

Don't have an encyclopedia at home?
Two of our databases can help!
Encyclopedia Britannica Online
Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
Visit the Information Desk to learn more.

I have hung the pockets in the stacks next to related materials - a sort of "readalike" for databases. Yesterday, when restocking the pockets with bookmarks, I found that 15 were either empty or had only one bookmark remaining. The pockets that seem to have drawn the most attention are ones promoting our magazine & newspaper databases, RA databases, homework helper databases, p4A Antiques, and EBSCO Animals.

If anyone is interested in trying the pockets out, let me know. I can transfer the files I have to you, or I can put them on CCPLshared, if anyone would like to suggest an appropriate place. I can also send a made up sample to anyone who's interested.

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Liz said...

Great idea!

Liz

 
At 7:40 PM, May 07, 2006, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

Emily, That's brilliant. Can you send the design to Julie's department and she can make them available for everyone. Thanks.

 
At 1:10 PM, May 08, 2006, Blogger Emily said...

I'll pass copies of everything along to Julie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home