Wednesday, April 11, 2007

LA Times op/ed on libraries

On the heels of Lynn's earlier post, another opinion, one that I've begun hearing more and more prominently, of late, and from folks of all ages and microcultures ...

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-miller10apr10,0,5788238.story

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, April 16, 2007, Blogger Kev said...

I understand the that libraries should be somewhat quieter than other places but why condemn the entire institution of libraries on account of too inconsiderate peoples behaviour. Perhaps they are more ignorant then anything. Schools are closing thier libraries left and right to save funds. Likewise if you've never been to church would you know how to act there? Much ado about nothing is my take on this article or she's more elitist then she wants to admit AND Drum circles should be allowed thier time at the library as well. It would be different if they were there everyday she stop her whining.

 
At 9:35 AM, May 03, 2007, Blogger Sue said...

Interesting article and it helps us to realize that we have such a wide range of customer expectations. I would really like CCPL to be something for everyone and move more towards the direction of quiet study rooms, and rooms for gathering which would be by nature more noisy in our future building design. I can understand and respect both viewpoints. I also find it offensive that people can be so disrespectful of others in cell phone use, and conversations in libraries, along the lines of "do you think I want to hear that," but I also agree that libraries are now more of a cultural center of town and less a place of quiet study.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home