Wednesday, February 22, 2006

IM Reference

At Admin and in the Tech Trends Taskforce, we've been discussing offering reference via IM. Here is a PPT from someone who's using IM to do that in her system. Here is her presentation as a handout.

More information.

I've been testing Meebo; if anyone wants to try it out, my AIM username is lauraatccpl.


tags: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, February 22, 2006, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

My main problem with IM (outside of my computer forgetting to go "dink" when I use it) is that other people FORGET to log on!!!!! But I'm using it with my brother now, and we're having a very good time (his does "dink" when he sends me a message.)

 
At 9:24 AM, February 23, 2006, Blogger laura said...

I wish I had the answer to the dink problem. I'm trying to get into the habit of logging on at Meebo when I turn on my computer.

 
At 4:09 PM, March 06, 2006, Blogger Sue said...

I've been using IM since 2000 and I think it would be possible to do on the reference desk (similar to phone calls). I would be glad to be a guinea pig if needed. I've only used AIM, however.

Sue

 
At 4:09 PM, March 06, 2006, Blogger Sue said...

I've been using IM since 2000 and I think it would be possible to do on the reference desk (similar to phone calls). I would be glad to be a guinea pig if needed. I've only used AIM, however.

Sue

 
At 8:55 PM, March 11, 2006, Blogger Sue said...

Went to a GCLC workshop on Thursday. Apparently Boone County Public Library is doing IM reference. One of the librarians said it was much easier than they thought it would be.

 
At 11:29 AM, April 14, 2006, Blogger laura said...

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be much different than phone reference. And hopefully, it's going to reach more teens.

Most of what I've read from other systems using IM reference has been positive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home