Monday, May 22, 2006

Branch Communication SWOTS

There is a lot of good stuff coming in through the branch and department Communication SWOTs. I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to do this. Your input is helping me to pin point problems; and that's the first step to solutions. I am still waiting on the results of a couple of locations, but so far your remarks and suggestions have been interesting inciteful and pretty consistent in identifying problems.
Jacquie will be talking about some of the communciation SWOT results as she prepares to visit branches in the next few months. I will be talking to the managers in more depth at our next managers' meeting. I have some questions about the results that need more detailed information. I am already working with the Administration Team to address some of the more easily identified issues.
There were two large problems that we can begin to address immediately. One is the final development and consistent application of system manuals such as Emergency Manual and Circulation Procedures. The Administration Team is committed to completing ALL manuals and to developing a plan for consistent updates to manuals by 12/31/06. At some point in the process, you may be asked for input and suggestions. Liz will be working on the "manual formerly known as Public Services Manual" (with some input on procedures from the Office of Public Affairs.) Liz and Lynn will be working on updating the Circulation Procedure Manual. Liz has already worked on the manuals for Volunteer Coordinators. Tracey will update the Friends Manual. Dave and Jacquie will be working on updating the Emergency Procedures Manual. Maura is talking about writing a financial procedures manual (she volunteered!) and Jacquie and I will be working with the Board to update the Staff manual.
The other large problem that these SWOTs identified was the need for consistent updating and organization of the CCPL Shared File. Dave and the Automation Staff will be developing a plan to keep the system updated and organized on a weekly basis. If you are a contributer to the CCPL Shared Folders, you can expect at some time to be asked to update your information.
We have already been working on telephone service at Administration. We won't be changing the phone system, but we're making a better effort at getting the caller to a person more quickly. In six months we'll go back and revisit this issue to see if the service has improved at all.
Jacquie and I were already planning to do staff meeting visits; we'll be stepping those up in the next few months and I expect we'll both bring up communication issues.
As a part of this process, I'll be talking with specific branches about some of theri specific issues throughout the next couple of months. We also have this message posted on the Blog now, and a memo version of it will go out in the next week or so. So as always, comments, suggestions, concerns? Feel free to post them here or send them to me directly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home