Two programming ideas I'd like to see us try (or Leslie has too much time on her hands)
As I've wandered along the last week or two, I've come across two ideas for programs I'd like to see us try. You can blame the really weird on one on Laura, she's the person who introduced me to the concept of "flashmobs" I think it would be really cool to get some people to pull be a "flashmob" (Laura tells me it's a noun not a verb) at a library branch. I think we're going to combine it with National Library Card month. If you're interested contact Laura. (but not Liz, she thinks i'm nuts)
The other idea you can blame on my son. I think we should start looking around for local garage bands of kids who are too young to perform at a "club" scene and try to kick off some concerts at our branches. These kids (if they're any good) bring their own audience and families, and it would make for some unusual programming. I know Jon's band is interested, and I'm fairly sure we could come up with a couple more. Felicity expressed some willingness to try this. Anyone else interested?

4 Comments:
I'm sure that the music theory group of teens with which I work at Owensville (four of whom ARE a garage band) would love to be involved in a "concert" context. Lots of details are pretty important, and would take an organizer beaucoup time, but if you can find someone to shepherd the effort, it could be a big deal ...
Starbooksgirl, I thought about that, but unfortunately for my son's band, they have finals that week. But if you guys do it again, he'll definitely be interested.
A friend of mine who manages the Walnut Hills branch at PLCH used to work at the Corryville branch. He used to do a New Music Review there and it went over very well. Not necessarily geared towards teens/garage bands. If anyone's interested in how David did his thing give him a call at Walnut Hills.
Chris, why don't you find out how it was organized and maybe we can adapt it. As soon as I hear back from Angi re: Amelia, I think we'll be ready to move. I thought I'd invite Dave to help figure out how to do it. There would be electrical and logistic issues of course.
Post a Comment
<< Home