Life in Branch/Circ Services Or What Does Liz Do?
Greetings, all. Just wanted to log in with an update of some of what goes on around the BSCS office here.
Disability Grant: Work is progressing on making our web site ADA compliant; open house plans and marketing for our new services are also chugging along. We've saved some money along the way, so we'll be offering some sensivity training and additional sign language instruction. I'm also creating a Services for the Disabled page for our web site. I've begun work on a staff manual for working with disabled people.
Volunteers: The new revised Volunteer Manual is almost ready to go. Summertime volunteers are descending upon us like manna from heaven. I'm creating a volunteer section for the web site.
Reference: The system trainers are busy updating their various training sections. I'm working on a ppt program on the changing paradigms of reference service (roving reference and instant messaging). Chris Rich and Sue Riggs (bless their hearts!) are testing our new instant messaging reference service at Goshen and Amelia. We hope to have every branch IM-ing by summer's end.
Programs: The summer reading program is off to a good start and some very nice programs are being offered this summer. I'll be spending a significant part of the summer visiting programs to observe both youth and adult programmers in action. I know I'll see wonderful things!
Surveys: We're compiling the results of the children's survey and awaiting results from the LibQual people on that survey. When we get all that, Reference Quality Taskforce will analyze it and make recommendations.
Web Site: In the meantime, RQT (as we call it) is working on the web site redesign and content. Things are moving right along.
Circulation: We have taken a Unbreakable Oath to have a new circulation manual completed by December 31. We promise. Also we will be making branch visits for staff to have more "face time" with Lynn and Connie. And we will be offering some refresher courses in circulation skills, Word and Excel for those who would like to improve their competencies in those areas.
If you have questions or suggestions about any of this, blog away!
Liz

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home