Friday, June 29, 2007

Blogpost: Libraries without Fear

Why libraries shouldn't have fear based responses to our users. Read more.

4 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, June 29, 2007, Blogger Kim said...

I do not feel that libraries should be feared, but there must be a respect for the premises, collections, staff and other patrons. Fear goes both ways.

 
At 11:27 AM, June 30, 2007, Blogger Sue said...

I don't want libraries to use Draconian measures to crack down, especially on teens, but I feel we do need to make sure that all users respect the rights of other users. I also feel that not all of our users are trustworthy. We have had several incidents of theft of teen materials in the past few weeks at BE. When BE experienced a power outage on Thursday night, several teens were reluctant to leave the library because they were concerned that their "myspace" page would appear when the power came up and that what it contained was something others shouldn't see. We need to monitor and treat each person as an individual, not use a carte blanche approach on either end of the spectrum.

 
At 4:37 PM, July 01, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Both of these initial comments have been defensive. I acknowledge Sue's (and Kim's) observation that it is important that "all users respect the rights of other users" and that we treat users as individuals.

At the same time, I think we are frequently guilty of treating our customers like criminals because of the 1% who offend. Is it possible for us to develop a staff more appreciative of the gift that we are to these communities, and these communities are to us? And even as problem-solving demands most of our public service time, can we solve these problems without allowing our energies to become knee-jerk negative toward the 99% who are faithful patrons?

I don't believe that we are necessarily conscious of our own negative behaviors. Part of treating each user as an individual is nurturing the skill of leaving the last negative experience at the door.

Are there other ways that we can remind ourselves how remarkable and wonderful this public library institution can be, and try to build a positive context where this calling can be affirmed?

 
At 9:01 AM, July 02, 2007, Blogger Liz said...

It is very easy to focus on the 1% of users who abuse the library because they take up so much of our time and energy. It only takes one obnoxious customer to ruin an otherwise nice day. But we really do need to take the time to appreciate all the great customers who appreciate us.

Liz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home