Tuesday, April 11, 2006

American Sign Language

Our eight week course in American Sign Language is over! Twenty dedicated staff members have successfully completed training in ASL as part of our disability grant. But what now? Well, our signers will likely be meeting on some sort of regular basis to practice their skills. And branches are encouraged to invite our new signers to interpret for programs (with advance notice, of course) or merely to demonstrate at meetings the grace and beauty of the language. I understand that some of our signers can even sing in sign language. Since we will (I believe) have some extra money from the grant, I'm thinking about offering a second course of ASL in the autumn--sign language 201, so to speak, to enable our trained signers to maintain and increase their knowledge. We might even offer sign language 101 again, for beginners, if there is interest. Let me know what you think.

Liz

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, April 11, 2006, Blogger Joann Kiser said...

I think having the Signers meet on a regular basis to practice their skills is really important. Also, I would like to see the group prepare to sign some simple stories for PSST for the fall of the year, as part of our disability programming efforts. Would the additional instruction be a continuation for those who have already taken it, or for a different set of staff members? I can see the advantage in both.

 
At 7:52 PM, April 11, 2006, Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

I agree, I think it's very important to continue the practice and I join Joann in hoping to se our signers actually sign some programs for us this fall. We're lucky to have a couple of volunteers willing to spearhead the effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home