Technology Competencies
More bloggers weigh in on what skills library professionals should have. Emily's list at Library Revolution and David Lee King's list.
I'm familiar with the things on Emily's list (and particularly skilled at making online purchases =>). I've never created a podcast and have absolutely no familiarity with game consoles at all (despite friends' assurances that it's lots of fun, no really) but I'm familiar with the other skills on David's list. (My cell phone actually has a foldout keyboard to facilitate my text messaging habit).
Are they relevant skills? Necessary? Or just a fad?

2 Comments:
Well, Emily's list should be part of a GED nowadays; but David's list puts me to shame! I clearly don't have the multimedia experience necessary to meet his criteria, and wish I did ...
I do like his recommendation that we be able to learn a new digital task within fifteen minutes.
I actually do everything except I don't feel like I could teach RSS at this point and I would LOVE to podcast but I can't afford the start-up fees right now, meaning updating my computer, webcam or video camera. I am a member of Myspace, Flickr, Blogger, and have a Gmail account. I am also a rockin' Guitar Hero enthusiast and utterly enjoy video gaming. I beat Diner Dash and am a decent surgeon on Trauma Center on my Wii. My next big purchase is an XBox 360. My next phone purchase will be a phone with a fold-out keyboard and a camera. I tried to download Second Life to my computer at home but it needs updating and wouldn't load it completely. I also am into YouTube, which is the reason that I want my own webcam.
I love technology but need instruction, it doesn't come naturally to me but my friend Laura and my 13-year-old help me out muchly.
Post a Comment
<< Home